Sunday, June 24, 2007

BesoThere is a little restaurant on 5th Ave in Park Slope called Beso. I've walked by it before late at night, and it was packed.
This last Sunday Al and I walked down to the Greenmarket, but we were so hungry, that shopping just wasn't going to happen. We started walking, and before I knew it, there was 5th Ave. Surely there would be a wonderful breakfast spot here...5th Ave has never let me down before. Across the street was Beso. The doors were open and it seemed pretty crowded. Al suggested we try it. Now, you know how sometimes you get a restaurant in your head as a dinner place, and it's hard to think of it as a breakfast or brunch place? Well, that's where I was with Beso. Since I had only ever really noticed it at night before. It took me a couple of minutes to accept the idea, but then I agreed that we should try it.
There is one thing that I haven't quite caught onto in NY yet...and that is when you order juice at a restaurant they bring it to you in what can only be considered a shot glass. It's everywhere, not just Beso. Al and I were joking about it one morning at the breakfast place by our house. He was like, "Yeah, and that's the large."
"Wow," I said, "wonder what that small looks like."
To that he just held up one of those little containers of creamer.

I ordered the huevos rancheros. It was delicious. The eggs were fluffy, the salsa was good. Al ordered the pan dulce french toast. I thought it was going to overtake him. It was two huge, thick mini-loaves of bread that were both filled with chocolate. It didn't come with syrup, but it did come with caramel sauce and rum. Wow. I dind't know if Al was going to make it. He ate half of one piece and then gave up. It was good, but wow. If you are going to eat this for brunch, you might as well just go straight home to slip slowly into your diabetic coma.
On the menu they also had hot chocolate served with a churro. The little girl next to us ordered it and it looked delicious. Al has a soft spot in his heart for churros, and I suggested we get one, but he just looked at me like I was the devil.

No comments: