Sunday, July 09, 2006

I think that we can safely say...these cupcakes have a drinking problem

In honor of the second installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, I decided to make rum cupcakes. Admittedly, they were mostly in honor of Johnny Depp, but I tip my cupcake to all pirates everywhere. My friends convinced me to dress up. I won’t lie, I half-assed my costume (well, it was less of a costume and more of just a tee shirt with a jolly roger on it), but they went all out. We had a pre-pirates bash at my place. I served Pirates Booty (a great cheesy-poof snack), oranges to ward off the scurvy, gummy fishies, and these rum cupcakes.
It was a great night, filled with a lot of “aarrrrgh” and calling each other scallywags. Robin kept poking me with her fake sword during the movie, which could have been annoying if the movie had been better, but as it was, it was just amusing.
I was worried when I first made these babies. Let me tell you, the batter (don’t pretend like you don’t lick the batter) tasted a lot like rum. I got a little tipsy just by licking the bowl. Once baked though, they were perfect. Not too alcohol-ish, but just right. The frosting was a little greasy, but good.
I got this recipe from another blog, but I can’t seem to track down who it was, so thank you, mysterious blogger. I tip my pirate hat to that blogger.

“If ye gets the urge, try your hand at these, scurvy scallywags!!!!!” That was fun to say.

Rum Cupcakes
1 package (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
1 c. Rum (I used the cheap rum and it didn’t seem to matter)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs

Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into cupcake liners until 3/4 full. Bake according to cake box directions. Let cool completely.

Coconut Buttercream Frosting
4 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pinch table salt
1 pound unsalted butter (4 sticks) cut into pieces. Softened, but still cool.
1/4 c. cream of coconut
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine whites, sugar, and salt in bowl of standing mixer. Set bowl over saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches of barely simmering water. Whisk constantly until opaque and warm. Should be about 120 degrees. About 2 mins.
Transfer bowl to mixer and beat whites on high speed with whisk attachment until barely warm and whites are glossy and sticky, about 7 mins. Reduce speed to med-high and beat in butter 1 piece at a time. Beat in cream of coconut and extracts. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Continue to beat until well combined, about 1 min.
(I had to put my frosting in the fridge for a few minutes, to get it to thicken up a little)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»